Regularly checking and maintaining your tyres can increase your safety and fuel economy while you are on the road. Properly maintained tyres also improve the handling and stopping of your car and they contribute to a more comfortable ride.
These are some valuable tips to help you navigate buying new tyres. You can also chat with the team at any one of the Auto Super Shoppe Albany about new tyres.
- If your tyres are more than 10 years old, you will need to replace them. If they are not that old, take a look at the tyres individually and see if you can see any excessive tread wear, cracked side walls or bulging and discolouration. If you can see any of this, it is time for a new set of tyres.
- Check your car as well. If your tyres have uneven wear, you might need to have your alignment or suspension checked out. Also, check if there is more wear on the inside or outside of the tire versus an even wear pattern across the width. If there are issues with your car like bad shocks or misalignment, it is pointless just replacing the tyres without fixing the issues. Most tyre centres will do an evaluation for you and assess the condition of the car. You can search for tyres at Auto Super Shoppe Albany; they will be able to help.
- What does the owner’s manual say? Car manufacturers always make recommendations as to the size and type of tire that is ideal for your vehicle. You can find this information in the owner’s manual and the information placard. The information placard can be found attached to your door edge or glove compartment; it is required my law so your car will have one. Take these recommendations seriously and make sure you do buy tyres that are the correct size for your vehicle.
- What about the wheels? If your current set of wheels is damaged or worn, you can replace them when you get a new set of tyres. When you are buying a new set of wheels you want to try to match the size to the manufacturer’s originals so that the tyres and wheels match the car. Custom wheels can be heavier than the stock ones which will have a negative impact on your suspension and fuel mileage. If you do still want to customize your wheels do proper research to make sure you make the right choice for your car in the long run.
- Buy a full set. It is tempting to just replace the worn tyres, but the suspension of your car is designed to work best when all 4 tyres are replaced. When you replace all the tyres at the same time you will be able to notice any changes or problems easier.
Tyres can also be checked during your regular services. If you are looking for experts to service your car, do a quick search for car service at Auto Super Shoppe Albany.